Friday, December 27, 2013

My 2nd Composition

I entered the York Symphony Orchestra songwriting contest again this year and won 2nd place in the high school division.  I wrote my piece for piano and I'm sorry to say they didn't orchestrate the 2nd place winners songs this year.  So, below is my recording of my song, Lullaby of the Rain:



and here is when we receive the awards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em_4r6w-spU&feature=youtu.be

What do you think?

(Just incase you want to look at last years post: http://mysongofjoyblog.blogspot.com/2012/11/my-composition.html)

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Kerri! You have grown so much as a composer. : )
    I am curious, did you have a form you were thinking of when you wrote this? Like ABA or theme and variation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I don't compose with a form already in mind. It's more like I write the piece then try and match it up to a form with possible minor changes to make it fit :)

    But, to answer your question: Yes, the piece is in 'theme and variations' form. I did a theme for 2 phrases, then had 9 variations total which were 2 phrases each, a coda for the last phrase and 1 measure in the middle as a mod.

    I don't know if you can hear it as I changed the time signature quite a bit but I'll give you the order of the song as it might be helpful:
    theme in C
    4 variations
    1 measure mod to G
    5 variations which followed the theme and 4 var. but backwards in the new key
    then between that last variation in the above 5 and the last variation I mod. back to the original key of C
    and end with the coda.

    I hope you understood all that and it was helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh... this makes sense. I was actually thinking theme and variation when I first heard it, but then the modulation made me think maybe it was ABA.

    Theme and variation is a lot of fun because there are so many endless possibilities if you can be creative enough to come up with them! I'm looking forward to hearing those two arrangements you're working on when you get done with them!

    ReplyDelete